Friday, July 15, 2011

So, how did you find out?!?

This is the most common first question we get asked. I got the sneaking suspicion I might be expecting due to some obvious signs (and some irregularities like a new obsession with excessive amounts of potato chips!?!). I put it off for a day or two but on Friday, February 11, after a phone call with my sister, Jolie, I decided to take a test “just in case”. I took the test home, walked past Robbie watching TV on the couch and went to take it. I didn’t want to alarm him because I was sure it would come back negative and be one of those classic freak out moments married people laugh about later.

Two lines. Where are the instructions again?!? Two lines means pregnant? Hmm…good thing I bought the two pack! I figured at this point I should probably involve my husband. I walked out of the bathroom as calmly as possible and said “Robbie?”. I watched as my unsuspecting husband looked up at me with a questioning glance. “What’s up?” he responds. “I think I’m pregnant”. He looks like a deer in the headlights and after a moment of complete shock he manages to say, “Why do you think that?”. “Because the test says so.” At my very matter of fact response his face turns instantly, completely, red. A few more moments of silence. Both of us start to nervously laugh, the kind of laughter that fills silence when you are utterly unsure of what to say or do, unsure of what the other person is thinking, feeling. Robbie looks up at me and says, “That’s a really good reason. Let’s take another one.”

The second test shows the same two blue lines within seconds. A still shocked Robbie gives me a big hug and says, “I guess this means we’re having a baby!”. Yes, it sure does…

No comments:

Post a Comment