Friday, July 15, 2011

How did you feel after you found out?

Obviously, my pregnancy with Annabelle was a huge surprise. We both are obsessive planners in our own way and this flipped our plans for the next two years upside down. I think it took Robbie a little longer to come to terms with the fact that our plans were drastically changed. We had a lot to consider since three days after finding out we were expecting, we found out we would be moving not to St. Joseph, Michigan as we had hoped but to Cleveland, Ohio. A significant change to say the least. For a few weeks and months we attempted to sketch out a new plan and answer questions like should I work (I flew to Cleveland for interviews)? Should we buy a home (we made several trips out and spent hours looking online for a place to live)? It felt like an understatement to say this little baby was changing everything.

Just an hour after we found out, my parents, brother, and Zach (my dad’s little brother through the Big Brothers program) showed up to go out to dinner with us. My parents ordered calamari as an appetizer and as I reached for a piece Robbie kicked me under the table. Instantly the protective dad, he didn’t know what was on the “ok to eat” list. His protector instinct hasn’t stopped ever since and he is ever worried about Bella and her well-being. He lovingly refers to me as Bella’s “transporter” and each day asks, “How is Bella? Has she been kicking today?”. A dangerous combination of an over-protective dad with way too much medical knowledge. It’s fun to see him get more and more excited each day for Bella to get here.

As for me, unexpected as it was and unprepared as I felt it really is a miracle to feel life growing inside of you (don’t mean to sound like a hallmark card but it’s true!). It amazes me to read about her developments, and feel her moving (constantly!). She is already so precious to both of us and I can’t wait for her to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment