Thursday, November 10, 2011

Week 1: What are we doing?!?

In all of the wisdom and advice that was given to us prior to having a baby, someone had told us to remember the first night at home is often the hardest. One of the books I read also advised us to eat before we left the hospital. Rob was anxious to get home but I insisted we get our one last free meal from the hospital so we wouldn’t have to scrounge anything up when we got home. We fed the baby and ourselves and hit the road. Later that night we were glad we had conserved our energy and let the hospital cook for us when Annabelle started to fuss. The first night certainly was difficult. We rocked, patted, burped, and bounced her to no avail…she screamed her little head off! At three in the morning as I was contemplating if this was colic (could I survive a colicky baby??) or maybe just gas (what did I eat today?) it occurred to me: maybe I should check her diaper? Sure enough, she was beyond dirty! The things new parents don’t know yet…After I changed her she settled a bit and we did end up getting a few hours sleep that first night.
The first day at home I walked into the living room to find Robbie holding Annabelle telling her "Daddy loves you the most, mommy loves you the second most, and everyone else loves you SO much!" over and over. He also picked out every single "I love daddy" or "Daddy loves me" outfit for her to wear during the first week. I think it's safe to say he is head over heels in love with this little girl!
The first outfit Robbie picked out for Bella
Bella's first night at home
Night two we had a somewhat less dramatic crying fit after we naively tried putting her in her crib. There is no way she was sleeping in there! We found she would sleep, but only if she fell asleep right next to one of us. She also began dirtying diapers like a machine at this point and got a little diaper rash. A little sleep deprived and panicked, my new mom friend Sara (who literally lives across the street!) went for a short walk with me and reassured me that we could actually do this (she has twin girls and little over one year old). A little perspective helped calm me down when I realized this could be a lot harder – at least I only have one to take care of! My mind was instantly leaping to the worst possible conclusions…we were going to have a bed sharing co-sleeper, her diaper rash would blister and bubble, I envisioned endless nights of colic crying…I know it’s crazy but again, read above, sleep deprived.
Little peanut
Robbie said this broke his heart to see such a tiny baby in a big crib
This is how she ended up sleeping
I took the middle of the night shift and had to have a snack (of course!)
Rob and I took Annabelle for her first walk the next day! We bundled her up (probably excessively!) and headed out for a few blocks. On the way the elementary school up the street was having a  parade of Halloween costumes. There were hundreds of kids dressed in their Halloween costumes walking on the other side of the street. They were waving at us as we walked...so stinkin' cute!! 
Mom and Annabelle ready for our first walk
First walk!
Night three Bella got to meet my parents for the first time. They adore her already! Annabelle is their first, long-awaited grandbaby so it is exciting for everyone. 
Grandma and Grandpa Rozendaal with Annabelle

My sister came in the following day and my family stayed until the next Thursday morning. We played games, watched football, and ate take-out while Bella got passed from one person to the next. Bella continued her nightly fussing but we managed to sneak some sleep in here and there.
Aunt Jolie meets Annabelle
On Monday, Halloween, it was trick or treat night in Cleveland and for the first time ever I got to hand out Halloween candy! So much fun!! Of course we dressed Bella up for the occasion and grandma dressed up too. 
 My first Halloween
Grandma and Annabelle
Aunt Jolie and Annabelle
Grandpa and Annabelle
Our new friends Sara and Kyle Lanzer (for real!) and their twin girls stopped by. 
Kyle, Sara, Leah, Olivia and us!
A few other photos from week one: 
Grandma loves me onesie


Robbie giving Bella "tummy time"
This is how she sleeps in her swing!

Grandpa, Grandma, and Annabelle


No comments:

Post a Comment